Friday, April 11, 2008

Sowing Seeds of Wellness

Last night my POC Partner and good friend Rachael and I did our first Wellness Workshop together at a Women's shelter in Manhattan.

I was so excited about this opportunity that I got up a 5am that morning reviewing my notes and making sure that my handouts were in order. It was all I could do to get through the day and then finally we were there and the evening begun. The Ladies, an impressive lively bunch began to file in one after the other, about 20 of them, ready and eager to check us out and hear what we had to say.

I was so proud of Rachael, the ultimate Refiner, organized with a few reminder notes on index cards and her handouts, she kicked off the workshop speaking on the Importance and Benefits of Drinking Water as our ladies begin to settle in with their little plates of fresh fruits and veggies and small bottles of Fiji water, that was provided for their enjoyment. I loved when Rachael quizzed the ladies throughout her presentation, I learned some stuff too. Then before I knew it it was my turn. I talked about Enzymes - the importance and benefits of eating live foods.

These women were so eager to learn and take in the information. I was really impressed with how much they already knew and how much they wanted to change their current situations. They asked questions and expressed personal concerns and my heart went out to them. One of the things that came out during our time with them was their frustration and dissatisfaction with the food that is served to them at the shelter and the strict rules and regulations about what they can purchase and bring in. They wondered why healthier food programs have not been implemented in these kind of a facilites and even in hospitals. I shared my personal story with them about my challenge with Diabetes and how doctors wanting to keep me on meds for the rest of my life angered me and propelled me to find a better way, a nutritional way to combat my dis-ease. I felt that same anger for them along with a determination to do something about it - such as what we did last night. To continue to link arms with our Sister Sonya, our Diva On A Mission and make it happen.

The Ladies of this shelter stirred my heart. This opportunity to sow seeds of wellness I believe stirred up Rachael and my gifts.

I could have continued talking and sharing and listening to these ladies for hours if Sonya hadn't given me the signal to stop. I thought it was because I may have started to ramble but Sonya assured me that it was because it was time for us the leave the space, we had exceeded out time. She said "No Girl, I could have sat here another hour!" Quite a few of the ladies felt the same. They engaged Rachael and I in some very interesting conversations, way past the time we were suppose to leave. We were asked continuosly if there was a Part 2 to our workshop and when would we be back. All good signs.

A few months ago, We, Point of Creation, said Yes to our Sister-in-Faith's request for help and now the opportunities to do what Yahweh has called us to do are presenting themselves.

I went to bed for the first time in a long time feeling like I was a part of and actively doing something significant. I enjoyed it and want to do it again. I look forward to Rachael and I doing more Health and Wellness Worshops in the near future. There is more to come. The best is yet to come!

I thank Yah for Sonya, aka Miss Diva at the shelter, for her bold, caring and obedient heart. How could I have said no to her request? No, was not an option.

Also, I want to send a 'Praise Yah' shout-out to Gloria Bradford, who sowed a financial seed for the fruit and veggies that the Ladies enjoyed.

I am humbled and I am grateful.

No comments: